Important Pair of Words
Here is the list of some important pairs of words for the students of 10th Class taken from Pilot A One Grammer Book.
- Affect: My advice did not affect him
Effect: Hard work had a bad effect on his life.
- Advice: My advice fell flat on him.
Advise: I advise him to work hard.
- Altogether: It is altogether wrong to say that I come here late.
All together: We went to school all together.
- Altar: A lamb was brought to the altar.
Alter: He altered his mind.
- Angel: He saw an angel.
Angle: There are three angles in a triangle.
- Bail: He was released on bail.
Bale: I bought two bales of cotton.
- Bare: He went out bare-footed.
Bear: I saw a bear.
- Birth: What is your date of birth.
Berth: Please reserve a berth for me for Lahore.
- Beside: I was sitting beside him.
Besides: Besides this, I will have to go there.
- Break: He did not break the stick.
Brake: The brake of the cycle did not work.
- Cloth: I bought some cloth from the Bazar.
Clothe: He is wearing beautiful clothes.
- Cool: A cool breeze was blowing.
Cold: Cold wind blows in winter.
- Cell: The prisoners came out of the cell.
Sell: He sells school books.
- Compare: I cannot compare myself with my teachers.
Contrast: Black is a contrast of white.
- Dairy: It is a dairy farm.
Diary: He gave me a new diary.
- Device: We use different types of devices.
Devise: THe shopkeeper devise many ways to earn a profit.
- Deny: She denied having told a lie.
Refuse: He refused to help me.
18. Dew Dewdrops beautify the flowers
Due He cannot come to school due to illness
19. Die He died of fever
Dye, He dyed my coat
20. Dose Take a dose of medicine
Doze He was dozing in the class
21. Droop The flower drooped for lack of water
Drop Drop of water fell on my face
22. Due Give him his dues
Dew Dewdrops look like pearls
23 Elder Ali is my elder brother
Older This building is older than others
24. Eligible He is eligible for this post
illegible His handwriting is illegible
25. Except Everybody was present except Ali
Accept He did not accept my gift
26. Expect I expect to get a good job
Hoop I hope to get good marks in the examination
27. Feet I have two feet
Feat HE showed many feats
28. Fair He went to the fair
Fare What is the railway fare from Lahore to Karachi
29. Floor Do not spit on the floor
Flour Flour is cheap in this city
30. Foul He plays a foul game
Fowl I saw waterfowls in the zoo
31. Gate He met me at the gate
Gait She has a charming gate
32. Goal Death is not the goal of life
Gaol He was sent to the goal
33 Heal The wound will heal soon
Heel A thorn has run into my heal
34.Healthy Last week he was quite healthy
Healthful Morning walk is healthful for our body
35 Idle Do not sit idly
Idol The Arabs Worshipped idols
36. Ice He sells ice
Snow Snow is falling
37. Lose He will lose the chance
Loose Your coat is Loose
38. Lesson He has learned his lesson
Lessen Try to lessen the work
39. Letter Write a letter
Later He came to school later that I.
40. Liar Do not trust a liar
Lawyer Quaid-e-Azam was a famous lawyer of his time
41. Lovely It is a lovely doll
Lovable She is innocent and loveable
42. Minor. These details are of minor importance
Miner He is a miner
43. Marry He wants to marry her
Merry Eat drink and be merry
44.Meet I want to meet him
Meat I eat meat
45. Metal iron is a very useful metal
Mettle Tariq bin Ziad showed his mettle in the battlefield
46. Necessity It is a necessity of time to work hard
Necessary It is necessary for you to prepare for the examination
47. Pour Pour some more milk
Pore There are many pores in our body
48. Piece Please give me a piece of paper
peace I like peace everywhere in the word
49. Pray Pray for my success
Prey Hawk is a bird of prey
50. People people of my village is very simple
peoples different peoples live in American
What's Your Reaction?